The District Presentation Evening in March 2018 was a particularly special one for Longham. Not only did some of our Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Young Leaders achieve top awards but we were also honoured have Longham leaders of yesteryear there to join in celebrating our success. These included Frank Lee, our Group Scout Leader from the 1970’s and Geoff Bacon, our acting Group Scout Leader from the 1990’s. Both were proud of the achievement of the Group and its success in its 60th anniversary year.
Our young members were presented with their Bronze, Silver and Gold Chief Scout’s Awards. These involved a lot of hard work and dedication. Just a few examples of some of the activities that individuals did to achieve this were:
- Organising their grandparents wedding.
- Cutting their hair for the Little Princess Trust.
- Contacting Scout Groups in Namibia, Romania, Poland, France, Italy and USA.
- Scouts helping in younger sections to teach navigation, pioneering and craft and leading on Cub Camp.
- Helping at community events such as Ferndown ‘Fete on the Field’ and local Park Runs.
- Trying out new adventurous activities such as Paddleboarding, Kayaking, High Ropes, Orienteering and Sea Swimming.
- Attending a Survival Camp and having to cook and sleep with only rudimentary equipment.
- Taking a role in a theatrical performance and learning improvised comedy.
- Relocating 2 ponds into one, moving 250+ newts and 6 frogs.
- Taking part in the national bird survey.
- Reporting stag beetle sightings.
- Helping build the ‘bug hotels’ in Parley Wood to encourage insects to thrive.
- Collecting for local Food Banks.
Several of our Young Leaders also gained prestigious honours including Chief Scouts Platinum and Diamond Awards and their Young Leader Belts.
The event also recognised our achievements in winning recent County & District competitions including Frostbite & Order of the Boot night hikes and the Shooting Competition. This meant that several of our members had to go on stage multiple times to receive awards and recognition!